The Crelate Chrome Extension is an plug-in that can be added to your Google Chrome browser to allow you to import and update contacts straight from webpages without having to manually enter information into Crelate. This allows you to do:
- When viewing a webpage, have our page parser automatically try and find contact information from the entire page or a text selection and return to you contact form that you can then import into Crelate
- When viewing a page that can be identified as an existing contact in the system, update the contact with the information available on the page
What you will Need
The Crelate Chrome Extension has the following requirements:
- The latest version of Google Chrome
- A Crelate Professional or higher subscription.
Installing the Crelate Chrome Extension
in Google Chrome:
- Navigate to this link
- Click on the + Add to Chrome button to install
- When the Confirmation dialog appears, click Add Extension to continue
- Once installed, you should notice a Crelate button appear in your toolbar like shown below
Once you have the extension installed, you can click on the icon in the toolbar to log in. These are the same credentials that you use to log into Crelate. Once you log in, your credentials will be saved so that you won't have to log in again. NOTE: Remember that this extension's features are only available to users with a Professional license or higher.
Create a New Contact
When viewing a webpage, you can click on the Crelate icon to have the extension look through the page for contact information. If you make a selection of text, the extension will only look at the selected text for contact information. Once the extension has completed analyzing the information, it will return a form to you like seen below:
The information shown here is what the extension was able to parse, but all the fields are editable if there are changes to be made or additional information to be added.
The extension will also try and find a suitable profile picture to attach to the contact. It will try and find a couple so if the first image is not the correct picture, hit the arrows below the picture to cycle through the available matches. If you wish to not import the profile picture, hover over the picture and hit the red X button. The picture will grey out and will not be imported.
When you're ready, click the green Import button at the top toolbar to import the contact into Crelate.
- Retry Parse: Use this if you want to make a different selection on the page, or the page has updated and you wish to try parsing the page again
- Show/Hide All Fields: By default the editor only shows fields that have information or are our special multi-value fields. If you wish to add data to fields that are not shown, click this to toggle their visibility
- Settings > Import profile images: This is checked by default, but if you wish to make it so that the default behavior is to not import profile pictures, then you can uncheck this setting. The extension will remember your choice
- Help: This will take you to this article. If the answer you are looking for is not in this article, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Logout: Will log you out of the extension
Finding an Existing Contact
If you visit a webpage that contains contact information that the extension can match with a contact in Crelate, you will be presented with a banner at the top that notifies you that that the contact is already in Crelate. NOTE: The system will use the Duplicate Detection settings you have defined in Crelate to try and find existing contacts. If you have no Duplicate Detection settings defined, the system will try and match on First Name AND Last Name AND Email Address. If that fails, it will then try and use the website's url to find the contact in your system
You then have two choices:
- Update: You can update the contact in Crelate with the information found on the page. This is useful if the contact has new contact information for example
- Import New: This will create a new Contact using the information present in the form. NOTE: You will only have this option if "Allow duplicate records to be saved anyway" enabled in your system or you have no duplicate detection settings defined for Contacts
If your duplicate detection settings do not allow for duplicates to be saved, then you will be presented with this banner instead:
Your only option is to update the contact that the extension has matched
SIDE NOTE: If you're Chrome Extension tool is spinnning, you might need to turn off your cookies.
To turn off cookies in your Google Chrome Browser follow these steps:
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
- In the "Cookies" section, you can change to your preferred setting